We are the Wayfair Mafia
We proactively invest money, time, and effort into Wayfair operators.
This group was started by former and current Wayfair employees, interested in supporting startups founded by former Wayfair employees. We want to help spur innovation among this smart, big thinking, hard working base of employees. This is a place to help provide capital, mentors, recruiting support, discounted services, and advice to these Wayfair employee Just like the original PayPal mafia, we have an opportunity to help support hundreds of new companies. Let's do this.
Our mission is to support 100+ Wayfair alumni founders by EOY 2022.
Criteria for Investment
(You are a startup)
- You must been employed by Wayfair as a W-2 employee (no contractor-only investors).
- You are either the founder/cofounder of the startup, or you are one of the first five employees of the company.
Criteria to Invest
(You want to invest)
- You must have been employed by Wayfair as a W-2 employee, either former or current (no contractor-only investors).
- You want to help former Wayfair employees get their startups off the ground, helping show them the "way."
- It's pretty straightforward: We have a slack group, and in it, we'll let you know when new companies by Wayfair former employees are started. You can help by offering dollars and/or advice. You can decide which companies you want to invest your time and dollars in, and which ones you don't. You will be asked if you'd like to invest and will respond with a simple yes or no. You will be able to invest on a per deal basis as an individual, or if the investment round gets large enough we'll use angel.co's syndicate structure (to make it easier for the entrepreneur). This is NOT a traditional "fund." Instead, think of it just as a communication stream to be able to find out when former Wayfair employees are starting companies, if they are looking for investment, and an invitation to participate.
The #1 thing we invest in is talented Wayfair people. Period.
That's our defining criteria above all else.
Massive industry? Awesome.
Strong user growth? Awesome.
Solid CAC and LTV? Awesome.
None of the above? That's OK.
We still want to talk to you.
A Quote from Niraj Himself
"Over time, not only can Wayfair become quite large in Boston, which will help the economy and help us draw in people from all over the country to make Massachusetts a net winner, but frankly I think it’ll help the ecosystem in indirect ways, like people going on to start their own companies." - Niraj Shah, CEO & Founder of Wayfair